Tuesday 7 September 2010

Summer EP


Have had a rather good summer, and just as it departs, here is what I have been working on for the last two months, a new 'Summer Sabbatical' EP: http://dreamcargoes.bandcamp.com/album/summer-sabbatical-ep

Admittedly, quite a few of the backing tracks are quite old; but they were worthy of finishing off and flesh out. They struck me of summer, too. Only tracks #3 and #4 originate at all recently. The lyrics are all August 2010, with 'Do Real Men Cry?' edging into this new month.

There are resonances of much of what I've been reading: Ted Hughes' poetry, H.C. Andersen's 'The Snow Queen' (and W.H. Auden's reflection on it), Raymond Williams' "Culture and Society". Two of the best films I've seen all summer are sampled - prizes to who can name them!

Again, I am very interested in listeners' feedback... I think this marks something of a transitional EP - and I want the next to be different in feel. I aim to record everything from scratch for the Autumn one; this one felt at times like a reckoning with the past, necessary in order to move forward.

My trips to London and Keswick inform the spirit of this record, plus the fine people who have contributed to it being such a good time - thank you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment